Saturday, September 27, 2014

Potty training

Well, Ty is now officially full-on potty trained!
 I totally take ownership that it took until Ty was three years old to be fully potty trained and blame it all on my own laziness. 
 I just could not bring myself to put everything aside for multiple days and just focus on potty training.  Before Dylan was born we were in such a go-go-go rhythm and I knew it was going to come to an end and I just wanted to take full advantage.
 Ty has shown signs of being ready for several months. He has even gone to the bathroom on the potty lots of times before when he requested. But, I just never pulled the trigger.
 Some people might think I was crazy to wait until I had Dylan to potty train Ty when I had all summer to do it but I am so glad I did.
 Right now we are totally used to staying home all day so being home for a weekend was a breeze. I also had his teachers to help once he started school.
 We decided one Friday after he got home from school that we would put him right in big boy underwear from Friday afternoon and no more diapers again. We decided to stay home all weekend and Monday in hopes that by Tuesday when he went back to school again he would be fully potty trained.
 And I tell you the truth, that it took until noon on Saturday to potty train Ty and he never had an accident after that first day.
 My mom was a HUGE help in this.
 She went to the dollar store and filled up two huge bowls full of prizes for Ty to pick from after he had successful potty trips.
 There were pretend mice, spiders, matchbox cars, glow sticks, bouncy balls, frogs, lizards, ninja turtles, lollipops, silly string you name it.
 It was a kids dream.
 She even got gifts for Kinley too so she would help encourage Ty in potty training.

 We let him look through it all pretty detailed for a bit so he could get real excited about it and then put it on a shelf and told him that he could have them once he went potty. 
Then we pumped him full of fluid to get him used to the feeling of a full bladder.
 He could drinka anything he wanted...juice, water, milk, diet coke, lemonade.

 On friday, he was about 50% successful.
 Saturday morning, he had a couple of accidents and we were starting to feel a little defeated but by noon, something clicked and he just got it.
 He has been fully potty trained since then.
 We did pull-ups for naps for a few days and at night but everytime he wakes up, they are dry!
 It really was such a smooth and easy process and I really think being lazy and waiting so long worked out for me in the end this time!
A few pics from that weekend.
And please, feel free to take a look in the background of these pics.
This is real life people.
My house is a wreck, baby diapers, clothes and toys everywhere.
Someday when my house is empty of kids and the only people to mess up the house will be Ben and I, I will look back and be sad...right?

 Its cool to use your sisters old princess potty.... IMG_3716
but, really he didnt like this little potty at all. He much prefers the little seat on the normal size toilet.
  IMG_3718
Showing off some of his prizes
IMG_3752 IMG_3706 IMG_3691 IMG_3686
Silly string battle!
  IMG_3698 IMG_3703 IMG_3696 IMG_3702

 Now Ty is a full on big kid. No more crib, paci or diapers.
 Poor thing had to grow up quick once he was not the baby anymore.

We told Ty that after 7 days in big boy underwear he could pick anywhere he wanted to go. He went back and forth between chuck e cheese and the aquarium but in the end the aquarium won and we had our first family of 5 official outing to the sea life aquarium courtesy of Ty.
  IMG_3804 IMG_3796

1 comment:

kristen said...

I just love every post! love that baby and that big boy tyty!!! and kinley with her twin besties! I remember asking about them when dylan was born and she was cracking me up about them. I love this new life stage and you are rocking it linds. Just killing it with beautiful babies and potty training and a kindergartner! This is such a huge time and I love love love watching you navigate it so incredibly. Love you so much.