Wednesday, August 18, 2010

western wear...

We are so excited to be going to two fun family birthday celebrations over the next couple weeks. This weekend is Aubrey Knowles's ladybug-theme 2nd birthday party (more on that and the fun party planning with Kristy later) and next weekend is Luke Harden's 1st birthday party. I love the theme parties and have been planning Kinley's outfits in my head since I got the invites.

Well, today I got in the Western mood and decided to make Kinley's western outfit. Believe it or not...we don't have any western wear...I know...crazy....so, I tried to get creative. I ended up making her a pillowcase "shirt" to pair with a denim skirt. I have seen lots of pillowcase dresses around and like the idea a lot in these hot summer days....but, I just could not part with the denim skirt in my vision...so, I decided to crop it and make a pillowcase shirt.

These are SO easy to make and there are great instructions online like these, and these. I decided instead of ribbon to use a blue bandana (because it is a boy's birthday party). I also decided to screen print (using the freezer paper method) a horse on the front of the shirt. I used the leftover bandana to make a bow. To top it off, my mom brought over Bart's grey boots that he wore everyday of his life as a child. They were so worn out that the heels were coming off and I had to hot glue them back together. Kinley LOVES them too! I think the whole outfit turned out pretty western and for only $1 (for the bandana)...I love it! We can't wait for the party!

Now we just need a denim skirt!
IMG_2807
Kinley cheesing it up.....
IMG_2813
IMG_2814
IMG_2812
IMG_2810
Kinley not wanting me to have a photo shoot anymore.

6 comments:

kristen said...

sooo cute!!! you are so creative!!

Micki said...

I love this! Soo adorable!

Jan said...

I'm SURE her Uncle Bart is proud of her wearing his boots! I definitely remember him in those boots...a lot! Love you all.

Honey said...

She looks like a real cowgirl in that outfit! You did a great job on the pillow case top! And the bandana bow! I love all the expressions...cheesy smile, pensive and thoughtful, and aggravated!

Camila said...

Adorable! I'm going to have to sit down with you and Kristi next time I'm in Texas and get sewing/screen printing lessons! Love all of your projects! Also, my fave pic is the last one where she doesn't want you to take anymore. She is starting to look like Bart to me. Is that weird??

Allison said...

This turned out perfect! I love it! The boots are just perfect and so sweet that they were Barts:)