Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dinner Date by Numbers

Last night I took Ben on a date just for him. I know that our lives are about to get very crazy and for the next couple months my attention will be very much devoted to Ty and Kinley and getting our lives and routines down. I know I will be tired and stressed and at the same time overwhelmed with emotion and joy. I could feel that stress as well as the added pressure of providing for a family of 4 creeping up on Ben. I wanted to take a night to just be about him. I am so thankful and proud of all he does for our family and for the husband and father that he is. I just wanted him to know it in a simple way.

So, I kind of created a dinner date by numbers / scavenger hunt night for him. We did not do a lot, basically just spent time together but, I also got him a few very simple, little things that he has mentioned he wanted. So, the numbered cards basically switched off between gift and activity for the night.
IMG_7695
IMG_7681
IMG_7684
When he got home, I told him his parents were coming to babysit and not to worry about why. As we got in his car, he opened up card #1. Dinner at Pappadeaux! He had received a gift card from Franchesca for his graduation and we still hadn't used it! This was the perfect opportunity.
IMG_7686
Card #2 he opened in the parking lot before dinner. He had been asking for a water bottle like one I had gotten myself for quite a while. Kinley picked out the color and I know he will use it everyday at work and working out.
IMG_7690
Cards #3,4 & 5 were at dinner. Long story short...because we have a new couch, every time we leave the house our dog, Haley, has been pinned up in our bedroom and she has jumped on our bed and ripped holes in Ben's side of the sheets...so he has been sleeping on sheets with holes for a while. Also, he mentioned the night before that he really wanted a new mystery book to just zone out and relax. I know he likes Jonathan Kellerman and the Alex Delaware novels...so, I got one of those. Card #5 was about our next activity. Lucky Strike! It is new in Ft. Worth and we hadn't been yet. It is a really cool atmosphere and a great indoor activity! (We only bowled one game because Ben was a little afraid that if I strained myself trying to beat him I might go into labor....but, it was still so much fun)
IMG_7689
IMG_7691
IMG_7692
Card #6 may seem weird...but, I bought him a new trash can. He literally has had a severe hatred for our trash can for the 5 1/2 years we have been married. It is so difficult to change the trash sac and it seems full when the sac is really only like half full...who knows...he just hates it. He has asked for birthdays and father's day and multiple occasions for a new trash can. So, I finally bought him a new one. He was very excited.
IMG_7693
Card #7 was the last card of the night. This was so simple and fun and I just loved spending a spontaneous and fun night with Ben before baby Ty comes!
IMG_7694

4 comments:

kristen said...

you are the sweetest. i just love this. the poems are so so cute and fun. love y'all. hope y'all had a fantastic night!! I bet ben just loved it!!!

Brandi said...

OMG, that is sooooo such a cute idea!!!! I need to do that for my hubs!!! LOVELOVELOVE!!!! So glad u guys had a fab night!!

Rachel said...

So cute! Love the idea...I might have to steal it for a fun date night with Matt.

Allison said...

You are such a good wife and a fantastic ryhmer! Sounds like such a fun night before you guys become a family of 4!