Thursday, February 12, 2015

Dylan's Ear Tube Surgery

Just a few days after turning 5 months old sweet Dylan had a minor surgery to put in ear tubes.
 I say 'surgery' because that is truly what it is and that's what all the doctors call it.
 I was saying 'procedure' but they corrected me.
 We saw Dr. Natalie Roberge of Cook's Childrens. She was great. We had one consultation meeting with her where she confirmed Dylan in no way had healthy ears and definitely needed the surgery. There have legitimately been around 20 days of his life through that point that he didn't have an ear infection.
 It was a totally new phenomenon to me.
  The surgery was on a Thursday morning and we were first of the day because they typically do surgeries from youngest to oldest child at Cooks.
He was definitely the youngest.
 We were instructed not to feed him any breastmilk after 2am because we were to arrive at 6:30. This was a terrifying thing for us because Dylan wakes up every 1-2 hours and night and eats constantly. But, again, prayer is powerful and effective and he had a great night sleep the night before surgery. (Great is relative)
 He slept from about 9:30 until I woke him up at 2 and then woke up at 5am for the day pretty much. We prayed over him for his day and just kept him happy until we left for the surgery at 6am.
 He was smiley and pleasant and happy and the nurses just went on and on about how sweet and smiley and happy our blue-eyed hungry baby boy was.
Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled
They admitted him and asked us a million questions, took his vitals and dressed him in his hospital gown. That is not a fun sight to see on your baby boy...even if it is just for ear tubes.
 But, he kept on smiling so it made it easier.
When they wheeled him off away from us in his little bed I shed a few quick tears. We both brought our devotionals to do in the waiting room and I was about 5 minutes into mine when Dr. Roberge came right out to say that the surgery went great!
 Dylan was sleeping off the anesthesia in Recovery room 1 and when he started to wake up they would come get us to meet him in Recovery room 2 to nurse and hold him. We waited about 20 more minutes and then we could go see him. They waited to make sure he was fully awake from the anesthesia and could keep down his milk and then they let us go.
 We were on our way home by 8:30!
Praise the Lord that our sweet boy had a successful day! We have a follow up appointment in about a week to make sure everything looks good and then we are just praying they tubes stay in and we have no more ear infections! I would love to say that Dylan magically came home and decided he would love to sleep all night but, that didn't happen.
 He is in a bad habit of waking up very often at night and we will be breaking him of that habit soon. Sleep training is no fun, but it is absolutely necessary for us right now. At least now we will know if he's crying that he is not crying because his ears are in pain! What a blessing.
 I am so thankful for the skillful hands of our doctors and all the people praying for Dylan during his surgery. We are glad to have it behind us now.

No comments: