Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Ty's surgery

Ty had his second surgery at the end of August.
 I will spare you some of the more graphic details but, in summary, he had an inguinal hernia that would pop in and out randomly at times.  We had no idea what it was at first and were a little freaked out.
 Based on initial exam at our pediatrician, of course, Ty looked totally normal.
  But, after listening to my description, he pressed further.
 He pushed on Ty's stomach and told Ty to resist him with his abdomen then he flipped Ty upside down and kind of "shook" him while holding him with one arm by his stomach. Sure enough, it was confirmed that Ty had a hernia that needed repair.
We were referred to a Cooks pediatric surgeon who confirmed Ty needed to have surgery.
Ty was never in any pain or uncomfortable at all but without surgery it would continue to get worse and eventually cause problems. The surgery is very basic with very little risk but the sooner the better.
There was to be a two week period of "restricted activity" after surgery which we knew would be the toughest part.
We decided to have the surgery right away so he could recover and only miss one soccer game and be ready to play by the time school started the second week of September.
We checked in early at Cooks and Ty wore some new superhero pjs that Gram bought him for surgery. 
Tys surgery 
We prayed over him and with him and pretty quickly he was given his giggle juice. It was pretty much just as funny this time as last time but, I was so, so nervous about how he would come off general anesthesia considering how poorly it went after his last surgery. 
Tys surgery 
No matter how "routine" a surgery is still so hard to see your baby being wheeled off into surgery in a hospital gown. We smothered him with kisses and went to grab some breakfast to eat in the waiting room. 
Tys surgery 
About an hour later the surgeon came out to say that everything went well. Coming off the medicine was MUCH easier this time and without one tear and THREE bombpops later, Ty was ready to go home.
Smiling and eating his first popsicle before he could really even open his eyes. 
Tys surgery Tys surgery 
He could choose between a wagon and a wheelchair to be taken to his car and he picked the wheelchair. 
Tys surgery 
We got home and had a few sweet visitors come to check on him right away.
 You would never guess this guy just had surgery.
He never slowed down a bit. 
Tys surgery Tys surgery 

The very next day was his first soccer game of the season which we had to miss but, he wore his jersey in support to root on his fellow Vipers.
 Tys surgery 

A week later was Labor day and we decided on a very quick trip to the lakehouse with some friends. This was THE hardest part of the whole surgery. Ty's incision site was closed only with steri-strip...not glue or any external stitches. I am still not sure why. But, it busted open just a little and was oozing with pus for a few days. We had to keep it aired out and dry and protected from germs with gauze for a while. There was just no way he could get in the lake. It was SO tough to watch him sit off to the side while his friends played in the lake. He handled it pretty well and I was so proud of him for sitting and resting, sometimes isolated, while his friends and siblings played in the water.
We are so glad the surgery is DONE and was overall successful and we pray for no more surgery for a while in the Harrison house.

No comments: